Friday, March 30, 2007

Week from hell

I've been meaning to tell about a truly wretched week that Liz and I had about 2 weeks ago. But I'm just now getting to it... not the best at this blog, I guess. Anyway, I had just gotten back from a guys trip to NYC, which was not wretched, btw. Liz and I had just found out that the tumor removed from our dog, Lucy, was in fact cancerous but necrotic, or dead. So, it was quite a shock to learn that it was a cancerous tumor, but good news that it was necrotic. Honestly, I think we both realized that the chances of the tumor being cancerous were pretty fair, but you always try to hold out hope. Lucy seems pretty healthy though, and the prognosis is pretty good. We just need to watch the area where the tumor was removed to see if anything develops there again. So ... we're holding out hope.

So we had the cancerous tumor in the dog. Then come Monday when I got up to go to work, I felt terrible -- really sick. My boss, however, was on business travel, so I felt I had to go in no matter how crappy I felt. The next day, I felt so bad that I could not go in. 102 degree fever -- laid out. Liz then got sick, which was probably the worst thing that could've happened because since she's pregnant the only drugs she can take is Tylenol, pretty much. And she got it way worse than me. She couldn't keep anything down, had a nasty cough, and the fever. And of course when I did go back to work on Thursday, it was all hell craziness busy going on. Liz got it so bad that she had to go to the hospital on Friday because she was dehydrated and her fever would not subside. They hooked her up to an IV and she went through four bags of fluid. Needless to say, I was really worried.

The baby seemed to be doing okay -- they had Liz hooked up to a baby monitor the whole time. I was finally able to get away from work, wheeled over to the hospital, and luckily just as I got there they told her she could go home. So we did. Gladly. And on top of that it was rainy, cold, and then started sleeting on the way home. I seriously wondered if about 4 other shoes were gonna drop that night. Or at least I thought for sure my basement was going to flood. But it didn't, thank God. It was that kind of week.

Liz is now doing much better, I'm feeling much better, my boss is back from travel, which is good. The baby is still doing well, and Lucy is too. So all's much better now. But, boy, I felt the proverbial black cloud was over us that week. Quite a scare.

No comments: