Friday, February 29, 2008

Moz Angeles

Here's a sort of random music culture posting... Over the holidays, a guy I know was in town from Southern California. While we were talking, he was telling me that he and his wife went to go see Morrissey in LA. So, while he's telling me about this show, I learn that Morrissey has a pretty large and passionate Latino fan base in LA. Who knew?! I didn't think about it again until I ran across a write up of a documentary about these fans.

The whole thing seems counter intuitive. I did like some Smiths stuff, but I'm not a fan of Morrissey, so this is not anything earth shaking for me. But I did think it was slightly strange and interesting anyway. Not to make too much of a big deal out of it, but this is one of those cases where truth is stranger than fiction. Is it really a multi-culti world, after all?

This essay argues that there is a logic to the whole "phenomenon" (for lack of a better word).

And apparently, there have been a few documentaries about this.

No comments: