Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Geekin' out w/ my music collection

So as Liz is fully aware, I've been working on entering all my music into a database for the last, oh, year/year and a half. This includes all vinyl (12" and 7") plus CDs and MP3 albums (but not all random MP3s). This has been a big undertaking, and now I am finally done! The software I used is called CATraxx, and it made things really easy -- it pulled CD info from the CDDB, downloaded artwork (when available). And it is a full-on database so I could add track names, credits (songwriters, producers, band members, etc) -- all good info. So with a few clicks I can see all the Johnny Cash covers I have. Or I can see all credits attributed to Elvis Costello, for example. Cool stuff.

I used allmusic.com a lot to find original artists for covers that I wasn't sure of. I also used Yahoo and Google to find some of the more obscure artwork that CATraxx couldn't find. So, since everyone is now frothy with excitement, I've posted the PDFs of the full collection. I had to break it up into 2 separate PDFs -- one for all various artists and one for all but V/A. Oh, and the first one is a fairly big file too. There are definitely some embarrassing moments in the collection...

No V/A here (PDF 18 MB)
V/A here (PDF 2.5 MB)

No comments: